Home dental care is as important for your pet as it is for you. Periodontal disease affects 85% of adult dogs and cats and can lead to pain, bad breath and tooth loss. Even worse, chronic oral infection can spread harmful bacteria to other parts of the body, including the lungs, heart, liver, and kidneys.
Fortunately most periodontal disease is preventable through a program of oral hygiene and regular professional care. Routine home dental care should be a part of every pet’s preventive medicine program.
Dental Products We Carry at the Clinic
The Virbac C.E.T. Toothbrush Kits contain the perfect tools for starting or maintaining an oral hygiene routine in your dog or cat.
Did you know that human toothpaste can be toxic to dogs? Some brands contain fluoride which can cause gastrointestinal irritation or more significant problems in large amounts! So, when getting ready to brush, make sure you are using a safe paste! We like Virbac’s C.E.T Enzymatic toothpaste. It comes in poultry, beef, malt, and vanilla mint and we always have some here at the clinic!
Healthy Mouth Water Additive
Is brushing your pet’s teeth too much of a hassle? Or do you want to do more to prevent plaque build-up? Try our new Healthy Mouth Water Additive for cats and dogs! This water additive has been scientifically proven to reduce 75-80% of plaque build-up on your pet’s teeth. Both formulas are safe for dogs and cats in multi-pet households.
Greenies Dental Chews for dogs and Greenies Dental Treats for cats are uniquely formulated to help protect your pet from oral disease while promoting dental health and nutrition for your pet.
For dogs, we carry the Greenies Veterinary Formula Canine Dental Chews which contain their most powerful teeth-cleaning formula ever. These chews also promote Cognitive Health, Immune System Health, Metabolic Health and Skin Health with added Omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil and other beneficial minerals and antioxidants.
Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Dogs
Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Rawhide Dog Chews offer a dual-enzyme system, have a natural antiseptic plus and abrasive texture that works with your dog’s chewing action to reduce plaque and loosen tartar.
VOHC Approved Dental Treats and Food
Products listed below have been awarded the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) Seal of Acceptance in the category specified:
‘Helps control plaque and tartar’
- Hill’s Canine t/d Original and Small Bites
- Hill’s Feline t/d
- Science Diet Oral Care Diet for Dogs and Cats
- Purina Veterinary Diets DH Dental Health brand Feline Formula
- Canine Greenies – all sizes
- Canine Greenies Lite – all sizes
- Canine Greenies Senior – all sizes
- Greenies Veterinary Formula Canine Dental Chews
- Bright Bites and Checkups Chews for Dogs – all sizes
- SANOS Dental Sealant
‘Helps control tartar’
- Friskies Cheweez Beefhide Treats
- Iams Chunk Dental Defense Diet for Dogs
- Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Diet for Dogs
- Purina Veterinary Diets DH Dental Health Brand Canine Formula
- Purina Veterinary Diets DH Dental Health brand Small Bites Canine Formula
- Tartar Shield Soft Rawhide Chews for Dogs
- Feline Greenies Feline Dental Treats
‘Helps control plaque’
- Dog::ESSENTIAL Healthymouth Anti-plaque Water Additive
- Dog::ESSENTIAL Healthymouth Anti-plaque Water Additive Mobility Formula
- Dog::ESSENTIAL Healthymouth Anti-plaque Gel
- Dog::ESSENTIAL Healthymouth Anti-plaque Oral Spray
- Cat::ESSENTIAL Healthymouth Anti-plaque Water Additive
- Cat::ESSENTIAL Healthymouth Anti-plaque Gel
- Cat::ESSENTIAL Healthymouth Anti-plaque Oral Spray
- Pet RX Toothpaste by Supersmile
- Royal Canin Feline Dental Diet
Remember that there is no perfect chew toy for your pet. Supervision should be provided whenever your pet is given chew toys. Nylon bones, natural bones, pig ears and cow hooves may lead to fractured teeth. Alternatively, kong toys are firm rubber toys that are compressible and provide good chewing activity for your dog.